Living La Vida Lima

Living La Vida Lima

Monday, October 20, 2008

Truncated Time In Lima

After many ruminations on life and my experience here in Lima, I have decided to truncate my time here and not return to Lima following the December holidays. After having made this decision and set my plans in motion, I feel I have made a wise decision for myself and am very much looking forward to the coming months. I have about a month left at my bizarrely questionable job, but in this time I am taking two trips within Peru: another trip back to Machu Picchu (but this time via a proper trek through the Sacred Valley) and a 3-day hiking trip in the Andes.

In December, I am heading on a 3-week trip through Buenos Aires (Argentina), Iguazzu Falls (at 9,000 feet wide, this is one of the top ten biggest falls in the world), a number of little cities in Uruguay (who would have thought this trip would take me to Bolivia and Uruguay?), and into Brazil to a couple of incredible beaches including those in Rio. I will finally see the sun! Unbelievably excited I am.
And equally excited I am to reunite with all my friends and family upon my return. This Christmas is going to be the best yet.

As for the future…well it is unclear. If it were up to me, I would travel for another 6 months. I pine for travel more than I do any person, possession, or purpose in life right now. It’s all I want to do in the coming months (much to the dismay and displeasure of my parents, who wish for me to grow roots immediately). And though I fear sounding like a spoiled brat with all these jaunts about, I assure any suspicious reader that I am working my little butt off here just trying to make this happen.

I am hoping to land enough freelance gigs to make continued travel a reality. My fingers are crossed and my ears are open. I recognize how blessed I am to be able to pursue my passions like this. I don't think I'll ever be the kind of person that, upon looking back at life, will ever say “I wish I would have…” or “If only...” Life is far too short to put off what you love (or who you love, for that matter) for some far off day. I am grateful and blessed. That’s about all I can say about that.

No comments: