Living La Vida Lima

Living La Vida Lima

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Nuevos años

Being that it is the middle of the year (and feels like a summer day here in the middle of a Peruvian winter) I find it completely unfitting that I write this entry about New Years. Nonetheless, I shall proceed. This weekend, as I awaited a speactular Independence Day fireworks show on the roof of my friend's apartment building, I was talking with my friend Ania about holidays here. We were talking about how incredibly festive Peruvian people are. For example, the parade and fireworks display I just recently witnessed was attended by at least 10 babillion Peruvians, who came together to celebrate a holiday that still won't come for another two weeks (this is much like us celebrating the fourth of July on June 21st). Awesome.

Ania told me all about the customs that take place here for New Years, which I found fascinating enough to warrant a blog entry. Though I plan to be in the States for Nuevos Años this year, I plan on carrying out each of these traditions with whoever wishes to join me.

Here is Ania's written explanation of a Peruvian New Year (without modification)...

1.) The yellow underwear. Actually, anything yellow will do--they think it's a good-luck color, but wearing yellow underwear is a particular favorite. If you roam the streets in the days leading up to New Years, you will find an endless array of yellow garments. They are often a popular Christmas present (poor little children!!).
2.) The 12 grapes. At midnight, you have to eat 12 grapes and make 1 wish per grape. I assume the grapes represent the 12 months, but no Peruvian has been able to confirm or deny this theory.
2.) The lentils. Depending on the family, at midnight you either stuff your pockets with lentils or grab handfuls of them and pour them over everyone else's heads so that they will have prosperity in the new year (the pouring over the head method is much more fun!). **note: make sure the lentils are dry, obviously :)
3.) The crazy run through the streets with baggage. People take to the streets with their suitcases and run around the block (I think you're supposed to run around the block 3 times, but again this varies) so that they will travel in the upcoming year. Some people also do this with cash.
4.) The burning man. You make this scary looking straw man a couple days before New Years and let him sit in front of your house in a chair, often accompanied by a lantern. The Peruvians often stuff him with fireworks, but I would not recommend that myself! Then on New Years, you light him on fire. That way you're killing the old year and all of its bad spirits and making room for the new one.
5.) General mayhem. Everyone lights fireworks and bonfires in the street and just goes loco!

Um...have I mentioned how much I love this country??? I can't wait to discover more of these little cultural jewels...anyone want to come here for New Years instead???

No comments: